Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Little Black Dress: 3 Different Outfits


A few weeks ago I went shopping with the intention of buying a few new dresses since Charlotte Russe was having a buy one get one for $12.50 sale. It was a steal that I couldn’t pass up! Well what began as “a few new dresses” turned into not only a few new dresses but also new shoes, jewelry, clothes, and so on…

One of my favorite things I bought was a black A-line dress, which is shown below. While this dress doesn’t look like anything too special (and I’m not generally attracted to the cutout trend) but I am really loving this dress.  I am a bit curvier than the model but it seems to hug all the right places, giving me a nice silhouette. I think an A-line cut it great for any body shape really. The dress also has some nice texture and detail with the scalloped, eyelet lace hem at the bottom.



Aside from the cut of the dress, I also love how versatile it is. It can easily be worn in any season by layering it with tights, boots, scarfs, and a blazer or sweater. It can also be dressed down for a more casual look or dressed up for a night look. And lets face it, a little black dress never goes out of style so it is a good staple piece to have in your wardrobe.

So, I though it may be fun to show some of the different things I purchased recently (or had in my closet already) and how I would style them around this dress.

This first look is a very simple, casual chic look that I would rock on a warmer day. When summer finally decides to show up in Michigan it’s hot, humid, and sticky, so I like to keep it simple and comfortable. The simplicity of this outfit allows the detail of the dress to be the focal point. I don’t like to wear a lot of jewelry in the summer because the metal can get hot and uncomfortable. However, I like this necklace because it adds a pop of color to the outfit and it very lightweight.


This next outfit is probably my favorite, mainly because of the shoes. By the way, have I mentioned I have a serious shoe obsession? If not, Hi my name is Margo and I am a shoeaholic. Now that that is cleared up… This outfit is more of what I would call rocker chic. The spikes, studs, and gladiator type wedges give this outfit a more edgy vibe, which is something I’m really into. I think it’s my inner rockstar wannabe trying to subtly make its way out.  I am also really digging the denim trend right now, whether it’s floral or colored denim like the vests below. Either of these vests would go great with the dress. Since they are short they hit right at the waistline, which allows the dress to still flow nicely.  I chose to show both vests because I cannot decide which one I like better. What are your thoughts? As far as the shoes, I cannot say enough good things about them. I haven’t worn them a ton so I cannot speak about the quality but they are extremely comfortable! Seriously, I feel like I’m not even wearing heels.


This last outfit is something I would wear on a night out with the girls or even a date. I am a firm believer of being classy rather than trashy. I think this is a great outfit for a dressier (not formal) occasion without being over the top. The cropped cardigan gives a nice pop of color but also covers the cutouts and hits right at the waistline, so you’re not showing too much skin and it doesn’t weigh down the bottom of the dress. The belt adds a bit of fun to the outfit… I mean who doesn’t like a little sparkle here and there. I think keeping the necklace simple is the best way to go since the belt is a bit flashy. I really love these nude pumps because they are super comfortable (for heels anyways) and go with literally everything. I especially love wearing nude pumps with skirts and dresses because it makes your legs look longer and leaner. Who doesn’t want longer, leaner looking legs?



If you are interested in any of the items shown the links are listed below.


Outfit #1:

Outfit #2:

Outfit #3:

7 comments:

  1. Great post! I let my daughters see this post and off to Charlotte's we were. You owe me money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Well I apologize for putting a dent in your wallet but I'm glad you and your daughters liked the post!

      Delete
  2. I love the necklace with the Casual Chic list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so interested in all of these items! I think that the dress is just perfect and adorable, and I may have to buy one for myself. Especially with all of these great tips you gave on making so many outfits out of just one little black dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassie! The minute I tried on this dress I fell in love because the shape is very flattering.

      Delete
  4. Love this outfit. I love how you can wear it in so many different ways. plus on top of that its at a price that is affordable! Plus your right I can totally see myself wearing this on a night out with the girls or on date

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you can see, I am all about affordable :)

      Delete